Saturday, January 15, 2011

What's Your Sign?

Next post will continue the Ragnorak discussion (so be sure to vote), but this is breaking news and we here at Bubo's Blog had to bring it to you first (well, O.K., it is week old news, but maybe you haven't heard about it yet...)

As I'm sure that you know by now, it has been suggested to modify the zodiac to adjust for the movement of the earth.  As a result, all the dates slightly change and a new zodiac sign gets added.  Now I remember reading about this a few years ago in Sky and Telescope magazine.  In that case, it was an article about the constellation that makes up the new sign and the author of that article was saying that if astrologers wanted to be accurate, they would change the zodiac to add this guy in.  Nobody got in an uproar about that.  Recently a guy said the same thing and now everyone is upset.  No need to worry, however, as astrologers have said that the new classification system only applies to people born 2009 or later.  

The new sign is Ophiuchus, the serpent bearer.  It is the only sign that is based on a real person - Imhotep.  That's right, the same guy from The Mummy.  The Greeks didn't refer to him by that name.  They saw him as Aesclepius, the god of medicine and healing.   He carried the Caduceus that has become so well known for medicine.

O.K., so now we have a new sign.  people born between Nov. 29 and Dec. 17 are now classified as Ophiuchus.  What are their traits?  These people are 
  • Seek out peace and wisdom
  • Often the recipient of  both good luck and jealousy
  • Can interpret of dreams
  • Like to reach for the stars
  • And they like to wear plaid

I got most of my information from: http://www.nowpublic.com/style/ophiuchus-personality-traits-13th-zodiac-sign-2747550.html so feel free to check them out for more info.

So what are the new dates?  Here they are.  Note, you may have changed signs:


  • Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16
  • Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11
  • Pisces: March 11-April 18
  • Aries: April 18-May 13
  • Taurus: May 13-June 21
  • Gemini: June 21-July 20
  • Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10
  • Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16
  • Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30
  • Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23
  • Scorpio: Nov. 23-29
  • Ophiuchus: Nov. 29-Dec. 17
  • Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20

I went from Scorpio to Libra.  Funny, I don't really follow my horoscope, but I feel a bit disappointed in moving to Libra...  So what about you?  Did you change? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's what I'm not getting about the whole controversy: no matter what my birthdate is now (Sagittarius), I was born under Capricorn. Isn't that what's important? What sign you were born under?

Not that I follow it or believe in it anyway. I've just been scoffing at the uproar. :)

Mark Alford said...

Some astrologers (mind you I am not one so maybe some of the astrologers in our audience can shed some light on my ignorance)are saying that you go under the sign they thought you would be when you were born. So when I was born, they thought I was Scorpio and that's what stays. However, I've read that some are saying that it doesn't matter what they thought your sign was, it is what your sign actually is. So it doesn't matter that they thought I was a Scorpio, in reality, I was Libra so that should be my sign.

The best thing I've read, though, is an article using this to explain why some of the horoscope predictions were wrong and that now, we should all be able to win the lottery since we know where the stars are!