Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Disney Mythology Part 1

O.K. - While at Disney, I saw a few things mythology oriented (besides from the Hercules movie, which was pretty much absent from the park), so, having a camera in hand (actually two), I snapped a few photos. Here is the mythology I found in the Magic Kingdom Electro Spectacular Parade, which had a mythology selection of floats (I think because of Phantasia, but it's been a while since I saw that movie):

Dionysus (I wonder who picked him to celebrate at a kids theme park??? I'm sure it has something to do with the parents who surely need some of his comfort after a few days at Disney with kids! - Of course, famous Christian writer, C. S. Lewis, also puts Dionysus in his Narnia books, which are a Christian allegory. What a strange god to be so immoral yet so accepted in society. I'll have to write a post later on how accepted his worship was in the old days.)

When this went by I thought it was Apollo, but on second look, it looks more female to me, so I'm going to assume that it is Artemis.

Hard to see in this photo, but it is horses coming out of water, made from Poseidon.

Another myth I found out during this parade was the myth that American tourist are rude. I say this because it is not just Americans that can claim this rude tag as I encountered rude people of many nationalities.

I have a few more pictures that I want to go into detail about, but before I do, I want to leave you with this one. I found this outside of the Mexico building in Epcot. I am pretty sure it was based on some Aztec or Mayan god or hero, but have not had the chance to research yet, so, if anyone out there has some Aztec or Mayan background and want to put forward your guesses, then by all means, please comment!

No comments: